Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Angel of the South

Up north they have this...


Admittedly I've never seen it, my travels never having taken me to that neck of the woods. But by all accounts, despite the controversy of whether it should be built or not, I think now it would be fair to say the Angel of the North is an iconic symbol of the North of England.

I'm not sure the same will be said in the future for the new sculpture planned in Kent and entitled Angel of the South. Which is weird. Considering the sculpture is actually going to be that of a horse.

I may be missing something here, but is seems a rather odd idea to build a huge horse in Kent. Particularly when it bears a remarkable similarity to the Barbie Horse belonging to no 4...





2 comments:

Persephone said...

We're big on large things in Canada. (It's a very large country, after all.) We have the largest hockey stick (just up-Island from where I grew up in Victoria, BC), Canada Goose, nickel, and Easter Egg, among other things...

Jane Henry said...

Crikey. Am not against large things, I just think seeing a great big sodding horse as you're approaching London from Dover is going to seem a trifle strange. And whereas the Angel appears to welcome you to the north, I'm not sure what the horse says. Heigh ho Silver away!! I expect, or maybe Barbie, why haven't you been riding me lately? I can think of better ways to spend 2 million quid...