Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Staying In. It's the New Going Out....

I'm not a big fan of New Year's Eve. It rates far too highly as the night of the year when one has to have fun with a capital F. I have like most people I guess, far too many dodgy memories of New Year's Eve parties that have ended in tears (though I have certain fondness for New Year's Eve 1983 - which was the first time I properly got drunk and had an evening where all sorts of mayhem ensued. It ended with me dancing round a lamppost and declaring undying love for someone who had better remain nameless, though I've no doubt if he remembers the events of the rest of that evening he probably knows who he is). So now I am settling down well into middle age, the allure of a night on the tiles is long gone. And actually I quite like the fact that the two big ones have joined us at midnight for the last couple of years. Who better to celebrate a new year with then your offspring?

So last night we decided to stay in. But then Spouse in totally mindblowingly out of character style romantic hero type behaviour decided to cook me a candlelit dinner. He insisted we dress up, so I donned a slinky black number and he donned a tux. Are we having a party? asked no 4. You're not, we are, was Spouse's response. What you're having a party without US??? she said. Too right we are...

As a mother of four I frequently feel like Mrs Large in Jill Murphy's hilarious books about the Large Family, and never more so then last night. One of her books is entitled A Quiet Night In - and Mrs Large cooks Mr Large a special birthday meal only for them both to be so exhausted they both fall asleep and the children eat their dinner.

That didn't quite happen, but it was a hoot chasing unwanted offspring to bed. We let the big ones stay up watching Life of Brian - I think their education in subversion should begin young - and drank champagne and ate steak together with the kitchen door firmly shut. It was great. All the advantages of going out, staying in.

At midnight we joined the children in the lounge, let off party poppers, drank more champagne, and watched the outrageously brilliant fireworks on tv, while the sprogs jumped into the New Year by leaping off the sofa (a German tradition they got off their granny).

It was absolutely brilliant. And reminded me yet again, why after so many years together (we celebrate a quarter of a century next year... gulp. How did that happen?) Spouse remains All That.

I think I shall be going out by staying in a lot more in 2008....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Political Umpire said...

Bless! Now I know why you're a member of the romantic novelist thingie

Happy New Year Jane.

I'm still on holiday. That annoys some, but you'll understand it's a lot more work with two aged under three ...

Jane Henry said...

Happy New Year to you PU. Multi faceted.That's me...
See you can do politics and be girlie...

Oh yes. At your stage, going back to work is much much easier. I used to go to work for a rest...

If you haven't got them all ready, do buy some Jill Murphy books. They are really cheering for parents of small children. I am particularly fond of Five Minutes Peace, which still holds good in my house.

Btw. Hope you approve of my sprogs' TV watching! We watched the programme about the making of the film first, and no 2 was baffled as to why it was banned. So I was able to explain about people with small minds and narrow thinking, which was immensely satisfying...

Political Umpire said...

Oh, I'd have called social services if you hadn't let them watch it - or even made them watch it. Now I hope they've got the Hitchhikers' books for next year and will be watching 2001 too ..